Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Today is Veterans Day in the US, Armistice Day in the UK and absolutely nothing in Spain. According to one of the Spanish teachers at my colegio, Spain wasn’t involved in either of the two world wars, something I find highly suspect, but would explain why they don’t celebrate today. It’s also kind of an awkward holiday since it’s not often on a weekend, I remembering sitting around doing nothing and sleeping in on what seemed like always a random day of the week. I do remember the few times my father dragged me to a veteran’s event, but it seems more like the exception rather the tradition. So now that I’m in a country that doesn’t even acknowledge it, I guess I miss it. It’s been amazing to me what I miss about the states, sometime it comes as a complete surprise.

No comments: